When hiring or referring real estate professionals, it is important to do your research and make sure the person you are considering is licensed and has a good reputation. You can check with the Real Estate Council of Alberta to see if the professional is licensed and if there are any complaints or disciplinary actions on their record.
- You can also ask for references from previous clients or colleagues in the industry, and ask about their experience working with the professional. Additionally, make sure to verify the professional's experience level, qualifications and area of expertise.
- It is important to know that the agent has time to spend with you. Setting expectations from the get go can avoid frustration.
- Discuss what kind of services they will provide. A professional should have a clear written description of services ready to offer you at your initial meeting with them, these should be added as part of the relationship agreement upon signing.
- It's also important to have a clear understanding of the professional's fees and commission structure, and to make sure they have the appropriate insurance coverage.
- Ensure the agent understands what you will need to sell or buy a home is of the utmost importance and should be discussed prior to signing paperwork together. The contract can affects the client's situation in a very important way. Not addressing these instances during signing may cause much grief when closing.
- What systems do they have for communication with you. ie. signing of documents, tasking between you and them, adding and sharing files to your folder, chatting etc.
- Finally, it's a good idea to have a face-to-face meeting or interview with the professional to get a sense of their communication style and to ensure that you feel comfortable working with them.